The first harp acquired for the HHSI Harp Collection is an Egan Royal Portable harp made in the 1820s, which was donated to the Society in 2008 by Mrs Elsa Warren. More info & photos
Our second acquisition is an unsigned harp said to have been made in Barra, Scotland, in the early twentieth century. It was donated to the Society in 2009 by Dr Barbara Wright, Trinity College Dublin. The harp was purchased for her by her mother, in 1947, from the widow of F.R. Higgins, of the Abbey Theatre. more images
The third instrument in the HHSI Collection is a reconstruction of a seventeenth-century chromatic Irish harp, based on the Cloyne fragments, made by musician, scholar and instrument-maker, Dr Tristram Robson. The harp was donated to the HHSI by the late Dr Robson in 2011.
The fourth instrument – added to the collection in 2014 – is a small harp made by James McFall, Belfast, in the first half of the twentieth century. This instrument has 22 strings, 18 of iron wire plus 4 wound bass strings. More info & photos…
If you are considering donating an Egan or other eighteenth-, nineteenth- or early-twentieth century harp to a public collection or institution, please consider the HHSI first.
The HHSI also maintains the HHSI Student-Harp Collection, a collection of modern-built, early Irish harps available to HHSI members to rent for tuition with an HHSI tutor. Please contact us for more information about tution.
October 10th 2021
"Hands on Harps!", presented by Dr Karen Loomis
September 29th 2021
Assistant Director's Report
July 4th 2021
Listen to the HHSI's Dr Karen Loomis on this American podcast